Foods and Flavors of San Antonio (2009) – Tex-Mex Seven-layer Dip Recipe
Chadwick, Gloria. Foods and Flavors of San Antonio. “Appetizers.” Pelican Publishing Company: Gretina, 2009. P. 21. [TX715.2.S69 C47 2009].
By an undergraduate nutrition student at UTSA
Making the Seven-layer dip was tons of fun and it tasted very good! It’s pretty simple to collect all the needed ingredients because you probably already have them in your house. According to Chadwick, this dip is a extremely popular in San Antonio and is found in many Tex-Mex cookbooks.
1 16 oz. can refried beans
- 1 cup guacamole
- 1 8 oz. container sour cream
- 3 roma tomatoes
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped black olives
- tortilla chips
- Evenly spread the refried beans over the bottom of a 9×9 glass baking dish. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Spread the guacamole evenly over the beans.
- Spread the sour cream over the guacamole.
- Sprinkle the diced tomatoes over the sour cream.
- Sprinkle the onion over the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top of the onion.
- Sprinkle the olives over the cheese.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving. Serve with tortilla chips.
In the Kitchen
To make the recipe, I used a 9×9 glass-baking dish in which I spread the refried beans and refrigerated them for about 15 minutes. Afterwards, I spread on the guacamole followed by the sour cream. On top of that, I sprinkled diced tomatoes, chopped onions, chopped olives, and then shredded cheese. Last, I refrigerated the dip again for an hour and served it with tortilla chips! The recipe yields enough dip for about 8 people. It only takes about 25 minutes to prepare and is quite simple to make. Not to mention, it tastes delicious. This dip can is great for big parties or as a small snack for kids too.
You can alter the recipe in lots of ways for a unique flavor. For example, instead of sour cream you could use Philadelphia Cheese. Also, you may add small chopped lettuce or substitute the red onions for green onions. Adding picante sauce or salsa in the dip is one way to make it a little tastier. Fresh cut Jalapeños could be another addition to your dip. This dip can be changed and made in many creative ways to make it perfect for your taste and party!